I’m ditching my Ziploc container and breaking out the big guns for this lunch.
Watch as I pile a day’s worth of fruits and vegetables into one big-as-your-head salad.
Layer one = fruits, veggies and cheese
Layer two = broccoli slaw, spices, deli meat and/or beans (They’re hiding but definitely in there!)
Layer three = romaine lettuce
P.S. I’ll let you in on my secret for making your own portable dressing packet in the “steps” portion of the recipe below.
This salad is not one of those small, unsatisfying lunch options that makes you reach for a snack an hour after eating. It’s definitely a lighter lunch option, but the hefty assortment of fruits, vegetables, and protein will keep you full for hours.
I, of course, have my handy dandy Pyrex bowl and its nifty plastic lid to thank in helping me create this salad. Heck, they are basically famous here on HGG. The giant glass container has held everything from Beef and Broccoli Thai Stir-Fry to Baked Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken. I also have two smaller bowls, and all three are dishwasher, microwave, oven and freezer safe. Talk about versatility.
Anyway, making a salad for lunch in this bowl never crossed my mind. Maybe I thought the bowl was too big for my lunchbox? Turns out the bowl fits just fine along with my snacks.
I dare you to bring this salad to school or work tomorrow. People will stare but in a good way if you know what I mean. 😉
Apple Cheddar Grape Salad
Difficulty: If you consider chopping vegetables difficult, then you might have a problem.
Total Preparation Time: Five minutes
- 1/2 of a small apple, diced (I used a Pink Lady apple.)
- About 10 red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1/8 cup baby carrots, diced
- 1/8 cup green bell pepper, diced
- One hefty handful of broccoli slaw
- Two to three ounces deli ham (I used Oscar Mayer Selects Applewood Smoked Ham, which contains NO artificial preservatives!)
- 1/4 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and dried
- One ounce cheddar cheese, cut into small chunks (I used Trader Joe’s Raw Milk Aged Cheddar.)
- Few dashes of cinnamon and black pepper (optional)
- Two tablespoons of your favorite dressing (I used Ken’s Light Options Dressing Balsamic Vinaigrette.)
- 1.5 cups romaine lettuce
- Wash and cut all fruits and vegetables. Layer on the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the garbanzo beans and cheddar chunks.
- Slice the ham and layer on top.
- Add a few dashes of black pepper and cinnamon, if desired.
- Add the broccoli slaw and romaine.
- Cover the salad and place in the fridge for tomorrow.
- Add two tablespoons of dressing to a small plastic bag and place the bag in the fridge with your salad. Simply cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and drizzle on the salad when you’re ready to eat.
- Do you own Pyrex bowls or a similar type of container?
- Do you prefer sandwiches or salads for lunch?
Related HGG Posts:
Of Possible Interest:
Finding the Perfect Container for the Big Salad via LunchBots
Salad in a Jar! Make a Week of Healthy, Delicious Lunches via the Kitchn
Cold Dishes to Share via the big lunch