If you love both Reese’s peanut butter cups and Mounds bars, these Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter and Coconut Cups might be your new best friends.
Who knew making your own peanut butter cups could be so easy? Seriously though, I’ll probably never buy Reese’s or Mounds bars again. These intensely bittersweet discs contain only five ingredients, all of which are good for you.
They’re basically a health food. Right?!?
These creamy little copycats are even easier to devour than they are to prepare.
My 17-year-old brother managed to eat 12 of the 24 cups all by himself in a matter of 48 hours. I almost missed the chance to photograph the bombs of dark chocolate, all-natural peanut butter and unsweetened shredded coconut due to his ravenous sweet tooth.
His excuse? “They’re just so good. What? I’m a growing boy.”
Case. In. Point.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Vegan Chickpea
Makes 24 mini cups
Total Preparation Time: 10 minutes (+ One hour of freezing)
- 10 ounces dark chocolate (I used Trader Joe’s Pound Plus 72% Dark Chocolate Bar.)
- Two tablespoons coconut oil (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin version.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- One tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup natural, creamy peanut butter (I used Peter Pan Natural Creamy.)
- Line two mini muffin pans with liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix coconut with honey. Put in freezer while preparing chocolate.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in large microwave–safe bowl. Heat on high for one minute. Stir.
- Place mixture back in microwave and heat for an additional 45 seconds. Stir. The chocolate should be creamy and smooth at this point. If it is not, heat in 30-second increments until no chunks remain.
- Place one spoonful of melted chocolate on the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Spoon one teaspoon of peanut butter into each muffin cup.
- Remove coconut from freezer. Form teaspoon-sized balls. Place one ball in each muffin cup.
- Spoon the remaining melted chocolate on top of each muffin cup until the coconut is covered.
- Place the muffin pans on a flat surface in the freezer. Allow cups to chill for one hour before eating.
- Once chilled, loosen cups from the pans by carefully sliding a sharp knife around the edges of the cups. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- What’s your favorite candy bar? (Snickers is apparently the most popular candy bar in America.)
- Do you prefer milk, white or dark chocolate?
Related HGG Posts:
Of Possible Interest:
Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies from Minimalist Baker