Pizza = health food
Follow me on this one:
- You’ve got your grains in a thin, crunchy whole-wheat crust.
- Chicken sausage provides a flavorful protein punch.
- Mozzarella covers you in the dairy department.
- Roasted zucchini, onions and a thick layer of fire-roasted tomato sauce pack in at least one serving of veggies.
Sounds like a well-rounded meal to me. What do you think?
Roasted Zucchini and Onion Pizza with Chicken Sausage
Makes one 10-inch pizza (I ate one half for dinner and the other half for lunch the next day.)
Total preparation and cook time: 30 – 40 minutes
Difficulty: Easy peasy
- 1/2 recipe of my favorite pizza dough (I used white whole-wheat flour.)
- One large or two small chicken sausage links, thinly sliced (I used one Trader Joe’s Smoked Apple Chardonnay link)
- 1/4 cup white onion, sliced
- 1/3 to 1/2 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2.5 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls
- One teaspoon minced garlic
- One teaspoon Mrs Dash Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning
- Dashes of paprika, black pepper, garlic powder
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup you favorite tomato or pasta sauce (I used Classico’s Fire Roasted Pizza Sauce.)
- Heat oven to as high as it will go. (My oven heats to 550 degrees Fahrenheit. Place pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven at this time.
- Make pizza dough according to recipe. Set aside and cover with a towel or upside-down bowl to rest.
- Slice veggies, toss them with the oil; and season with the pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Using a small pan, broil the veggies in a toaster oven for 10 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, saute the sliced chicken sausage in a skillet over medium heat for five to six minutes or until slightly browned.
- Remove veggies from the toaster oven. Toss in the lemon juice.
- Set the veggies and chicken sausage aside.
- Take the dough and roll it out on cutting board or large plate to form a 10-inch circle.
- Remove the pizza stone or baking sheet from the oven. Carefully transfer dough to the stone or sheet.
- Top the pizza with sauce, minced garlic, tomato basil seasoning, zucchini, onions, chicken sausage and mozzarella.
- Place in the oven. Cook for five minutes.
- Rotate the pizza stone or baking sheet 180 degrees. Cook for an additional three to five minutes or until the crust is golden-brown and mozzarella is bubbling.
- Remove pizza from oven. Allow it to cool for five minutes before slicing.
- What is your favorite pizza topping?
- If you make homemade pizza, what’s your favorite dough recipe? If possible, please share! 🙂
Related HGG Posts:
Non Traditional Pizza Recipes of Interest:
Pesto Cashew Ricotta Pizza from Healthy. Happy. Life.