I’ve decided coconut tastes good with just about everything.
It even has the magical ability to make me eat things I don’t like (a.k.a. fish).
Publix Nutty Nuggets cereal, a few simple spices and shredded coconut made for a crispy, crunchy coating. The coconut oil and simple salsa made with in-season fruits brought the salmon to a whole new level of paradise.
Eating outside on my porch at home as the summer sun sets doesn’t hurt either. 🙂
Pan-Fried Coconut Salmon with Simple Fruit Salsa
Serves two (or one growing teenage boy)
Difficulty: Super easy
Total preparation and cook time: 15 minutes
For the salmon:
- One-pound Alaskan sockeye salmon fillet, skin removed (I bought mine on sale at ALDI.)
- 1/4 cup Publix Nutty Nuggets cereal (generic version of Grape-Nuts Cereal)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- One large egg
- Two tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the salsa:
- 1/2 large avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh pico de gallo
- 1/4 cup diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Combine pico de gallo, blueberries, avocado and pineapple in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring coconut oil to medium heat in a large skillet.
- Scramble the egg with the lemon juice in a large, shallow bowl.
- Combine the cereal, all spices and the shredded coconut in a second large, shallow bowl.
- Carefully place the salmon in the egg bowl. Turn until both sides are covered liberally.
- Place the salmon in the cereal, spice and coconut mixture.
- Press lightly on one side. Turn and gently press the other side into the bottom of the bowl. Repeat a few times until most of the mixture coats both sides of the salmon.
- Increase the heat to medium high and carefully place salmon in the skillet. Cook each side for seven to eight minutes or until the coating is golden brown on both sides.
- Cut the fillet in half if serving two people. Top with salsa.
- What’s your favorite method of cooking salmon?
- What’s your favorite seafood dish?
- Is anyone else a Styx fan?
Related HGG Posts: