Need a quick, healthy side dish that goes well with any meal?
Look no further. Here’s your new favorite way to eat those veggies.
Yay for tasty greens!
Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli for One
Serves One (duh!)
Difficulty: Is anything made in the toaster oven difficult?
Total Preparation and Cook Time: 17 minutes
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Set toaster oven on broil.
- Toss broccoli in oil. Spread evenly on a toaster oven pan.
- Sprinkle spices on the broccoli.
- Roast broccoli for 10 minutes or until the florets are bright green.
- Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle cheese on top. Return pan to oven and roast broccoli for five additional minutes.
- What’s your favorite way to eat broccoli? Raw? Slaw? Roasted?
- What’s your favorite vegetable?
Related HGG Posts:
Beef and Broccoli Thai Stir-Fry
Broccoli Cheddar Pita Pockets with Ham
Jalapeño Crunch Mac and Cheese
Warning: The following recipe might make you swear off delivery pizza for the rest of your life.
Here’s what you need to make margherita pizzas at home in less than 30 minutes:
1. An excellent recipe for homemade dough (I substituted white whole-wheat flour for the all-purpose flour.)
2. A few simple toppings – good sauce; sliced tomatoes; fresh mozzarella; minced garlic; a sprinkle of pepper; and shredded Parmesan cheese to be exact
3. A few leaves of fresh basil
4. Hungry mouths to feed!
Enjoy the praises you receive after making these easy, cheap and delicious pies. You know I sure did. 😉
- What is your favorite pizza dough recipe?
- What are your favorite pizza toppings?
Related HGG Posts:
Grilled Chicken Pita Pizzas
Spicy English Muffin Minis
Of Possible Interest:
Pizza & Beyond! 15 Recipes for Pizza, Flatbread, and More – the Kitchn
Over Easy: Egg on Pizza – the Kitchn
Hunting Down a Good Pizza Stone – the Kitchn
Raise your hand if you’re a kid at heart.
Me, me, me!
I think the photo is from Camp Wai Lani summer session 2003? I can’t remember exactly, but I must have been about 10 years old.
Grilled cheese was one of my all-time favorite meals as a kid, along with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, cheese hot dogs, scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets, pasta, Cosmic Brownies and Pop-Tarts.
Even though I’m 20 years old and no longer eat many of the above-listed foods, I still love a good gooey sandwich. The grilled cheeses of my childhood were made with two slices of potato or whole-wheat bread; two tablespoons Country Crock Spread; and two slices Kraft American cheese. However, I tend to be more adventurous with my grilled cheese fillings these days.
Introducing . . .
Spinach-Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
Let’s just say working at Panera Bread this summer definitely improved my sandwich-making skills.
A hot, melted reminder of childhood 🙂
Difficulty: A bit more effort is required compared to the traditional sandwich, but it’s not hard at all.
Total Preparation and Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- One 100% Whole-Wheat Arnold Sandwich Thin
- Two large handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Roma tomato, cut into four slices
- Dash of pepper
- Dash of tomato basil garlic seasoning
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced (I used BelGioioso)
- Two ounces (1/8 cup) shredded Italian-style cheese mixture (I used Winn Dixie’s variety)
- 1/8 cup diced red onion
- Cooking spray (I used Pam’s Olive Oil spray)
- Apply cooking spray to a small pan, place on stove and heat at a medium-low setting.
- Place spinach and garlic in pan and stir until spinach has wilted, about three to four minutes.
- Remove spinach from pan and set aside.
- Split the sandwich thin and arrange tomato slices on bottom half. Top with pepper and tomato basil garlic seasoning
- Arrange the remaining ingredients in this order: mozzarella; diced onion; spinach; Italian-style shredded cheese; and top slice of the sandwich thin.
- Spray pan again and be sure stove is still set at a medium-low heat.
- Place sandwich in the pan and heat until underside is golden brown, about four to five minutes.
- Carefully flip the sandwich and heat other side until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite pasta sauce for dipping and/or baby carrots and bell pepper slices for dipping into hummus.
- Do you have a favorite big-kid grilled cheese recipe? If so, please share it with me. 🙂
- What is your favorite grilled cheese side dish? (Mine is still Campbell’s Tomato Soup made with half a can of water and half a can of fat-free milk.)
Related HGG Posts:
Sophisticated Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Healthy Monte Cristo Sandwich
You may also be interested in: